• Login
  • Home
  • Pakistan
  • International News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Pakistan
  • International News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Times of Pakistan
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

SC opens probe into Rs 40bn EOBI scandal

ToP by ToP
July 2, 2013
in Featured, Govt., Pakistan
0
EOBI scandal

SC opens probe into Rs 40bn EOBI scandal

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
EOBI scandal
SC opens probe into Rs 40bn EOBI scandal

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to complete its investigation into the Rs 40 billion scandal of the Employees’ Old-Age Benefits Institution (EOBI) within ten days and submit a detailed report before the bench.

A three-member bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry heard a suo motu case pertaining to the corruption scandal. The court directed FIA DG to immediately conduct an enquiry in all the 18 transactions made in the instant case, admitted by the EOBI secretary. The court further directed that investigation must be conducted without caring for any political pressure as the amount allegedly misappropriated belongs the taxpayers. The court also directed the interior secretary to strengthen the investigation in the case by allowing officials within or outside of the FIA and take effective measures for the completion of the probe. The court directed the FIA DG to complete the investigation in ten days and submit a compliance report by July 12.

“Serious efforts have to be made to collect concrete evidence instead of spoiling the same,” the chief justice observed, adding the amount misappropriated belongs to the taxpayers. Last week, the chief justice took notice of the corruption scandal of more than Rs 40 billion in the EOBI and issued notices to attorney general of Pakistan, Ministry of Human Resource Development secretary, FIA DG, EOBI chairman and former EOBI chairman Zafar Iqbal Gondal directing them to appear before the court on July 1.

According to the reports huge investments were made in different schemes in the Defence Housing Authority (DHA), purchase of the Crown Plaza in F7 Markaz in Islamabad, purchase of two 4,300cc Prado cars for personal use, two controversial plots in Sukkar, investment to develop a cricket ground in Islamabad, purchase of seven plots from the CDA, 40 kanals and 16 marlas land in Lahore, purchase of four floors of plaza/hotel in Lahore, investment was made in the construction of a seven star hotel in front of the Lahore airport, construction of M9 Motorway by EOBI and the purchase of land worth Rs 20 crore near Karachi airport, etc.

During the hearing, EOBI Secretary Abdul Khaliq presented a report and placed on record a list of 18 transactions made without following the PPRA rules and in a non-transparent manner. He also confirmed that whatever had been reported in the media about the case was true, although certain chain or links were missing. He also informed the court that his department had requested the relevant quarters to put the name of former EOBI chairman Zafar Iqbal Gondal on the Exit Control List (ECL).

He said that Zafar Gondal has been repatriated to his parent department, the Auditor General of Pakistan, since then and currently the EOBI was without a chairman. It must be noted that Zafar Gondal is the brother of senior PPP leader Nazar Gondal. Meanwhile, FIA Director General Saud Mirza informed the court that the agency had arrested three persons, namely former investment director general Wahid Khurshid and two officers of the EOBI – Col (r) Ali Hassan Mirza and his daughter Maham Majeed, for their alleged involvement in the corruption.

The FIA DG told the court that the agency had evidence that a considerable amount of money paid to purchase different properties had come back in the accounts of Zafar Iqbal Gondal as kickbacks and commissions. Meanwhile, Huzaifaur Rehman who broke the corruption story on a private television channel assured the bench that he would hand over the documentary evidence regarding the EOBI corruption, but complained about threatening calls he was receiving from certain quarters. The court ordered the interior secretary to ensure full protection to the journalist. – DailyTimes

Tags: CJP Iftikhar Muhammad ChaudhryEOBI scandal
Previous Post

Karachi violence claims six lives

Next Post

Shutter-down strike in Quetta against suicide attack

ToP

ToP

Related Posts

Maryam Nawaz Booked for Instigating NAB office Attack
Pakistan

Imran Khan finding another Saqib Nisar in the judiciary says, Maryam Nawaz

by Top
May 31, 2022
Several cities face petrol shortage amid oil tanker owners' strike
Pakistan

Petrol, and diesel in Pakistan still cheaper than UK, BD, India, UAE

by Top
May 27, 2022
Opposition’s Haste for no Trust Move to Save Looted Wealth: PM Imran
National

Supreme Court bars govt from initiating action against Imran Khan

by Shameel Shoaeb
May 26, 2022
COVID-19 restrictions removed as positivity ratio declines: Asad Umar
Pakistan

Asad Umar welcomes PM Shehbaz Sharif’s offer for talks on fresh elections

by wasif
May 26, 2022
Colors of state media’s electronic banners, websites’ logos changed to mourn UAE President’s demise: Marriyum
Pakistan

Colors of state media’s electronic banners, websites’ logos changed to mourn UAE President’s demise: Marriyum

by Top
May 16, 2022
PM orders immediate restoration of NCOC after detection of Omicron’s sub-variant
Pakistan

PM orders immediate restoration of NCOC after detection of Omicron’s sub-variant

by Top
May 10, 2022
Present govt does not believe in restrictions on media freedom, controversial PMDA abolished: Marriyum
Pakistan

Present govt does not believe in restrictions on media freedom, controversial PMDA abolished: Marriyum

by Top
April 28, 2022
Next Post
Shutter-down strike in Quetta against suicide attack

Shutter-down strike in Quetta against suicide attack

Popular Stories

  • Chacha Cricket visits

    Chacha Cricket Cheerleader Of the Cricket Arena

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 10 Hottest Women Wrestlers Right Now

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Agreement To Be Signed With IMF This Week: Shaukat Trarin

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Imran Khan finding another Saqib Nisar in the judiciary says, Maryam Nawaz

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Times of Pakistan

About Times Of Pakistan

kralbetbetturkeyikimislibahis1xbetm.infohipas.infohttps://www.wiibet.com/restbetcdn.com

Other Categories

  • Beautiful Pakistan
  • Fashion News
  • Funny News
  • Viral Videos
  • Weird News

Recent Posts

  • Imran Khan finding another Saqib Nisar in the judiciary says, Maryam Nawaz
  • No concern yet monkeypox will cause pandemic: WHO
  • Petrol, and diesel in Pakistan still cheaper than UK, BD, India, UAE

Times Of Pakistan © 2021. Design & Developed by E2E Solution Providers.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Pakistan
  • International News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In